Let's practice English or French conversation here!

Here you can speak (in english) about game creation with RPG Maker or similar tools.
Blue
KoruTeam
KoruTeam

Message non lu par Blue » ven. oct. 09, 2009 4:23 pm

Giro > Yeah, apparently a french accent sounds really nice. I know a French girl who has an ultra-strong french accent and I remember whenever she was going into a shop, people were like "are you French ? Your accent is so cute !" and she got lots of free gifts thanks to that LOL (she was pretty as well so I guess it helps :dent: ).

Decadis > Yeah that's what you usually answer: "pas cher" and generally people say "but that means 'not expensive' ! You don't have a proper word for 'cheap' ?"

Vengeur > That's so true... I have a professor from Germany and whenever he gives a lecture you can see he's making a huge effort to try to hide his german accent by emphazising the stress on the words to make them sound more english. And the result isn't great because he sounds even more german (the pronouciation goes wrong).

Latix > Hum, I'm sorry I can't agree with you there. French isn't a perfect and complete language. If you wanna talk about a "perfect language" then maybe we can talk about esperanto. But even if it's supposed to be very user-friendly I don't think it's perfect...

Josh > Yeah right, they all say it's a French-English bilingual country but then if you actually go there one day you'll see that only a piece of the country is bilingual (the one that speaks French). And in the English part there's more people who speak English-Mandarin than English-French to be honest... At least that's what I think... Maybe some other people would think differently...
Oh you're in Ohio. Did you ever go for a swim in the great lakes :P ?
~~~~ Blue ~~~

Decadis
Koruldia Warrior

Message non lu par Decadis » ven. oct. 09, 2009 4:35 pm

Well, you can say that 'cheap' means 'bas'. 'Cause you can say "That was cheap, man!", wich mean "ça c'était bas!" ( when you're talking about something someone did, see?)

And you can't have a word for everything... There's english expressions that are translated in French in one word. Logical to see it in English-French too. Whatever, that's natural for every languages...

Latix, I think you gotta have to learn to use "to" properly, and that you can't use "for" everywhere x)
Aaaah que le monde est petit...

Josh
Koruldia Hunter

Message non lu par Josh » ven. oct. 09, 2009 9:40 pm

Blue that question was so small :P
Yes I live walking distance from Lake Erie ;)
I live in Ashtabula, Ohio
Go, Google Maps it.

Giro Noden
Koruldia Divinity

Message non lu par Giro Noden » sam. oct. 10, 2009 11:57 am

Blue, it is like : how do you translate hopefully and luckily ?

Cheap meaning, i think it is "prix reduit", isn't it ?
Giro

Latix50
Koruldia apprentice

Message non lu par Latix50 » sam. oct. 10, 2009 2:10 pm

I love "For" xD i joke... I'll do the best i can ^^.

And for "Cheap" i think i understand what you mean (Decadis) when someone did something bad to an other person, like "Why did you do that! It's really cheap!", "Pourquoi t'as fais ça! C'est vraiment exécrable!"

I think that's you mean ^^' :D

Decadis
Koruldia Warrior

Message non lu par Decadis » sam. oct. 10, 2009 2:38 pm

Yep, something like that.

And just so you'll know, the difference between "for" and "to" is that you have to use "to" before a verb in the infinitive form. See? To use, to do, to have, to be, to expect, to say, etc. And "for", is used before other words: I did it for him, I'm working on my english lesson for tomorrow...

Latix50
Koruldia apprentice

Message non lu par Latix50 » sam. oct. 10, 2009 3:48 pm

mmhh ^^ Yes i see :D But i write and i don't be careful with those fault ^^' i know it's not good ^^ xD lol. ^^"

Decadis
Koruldia Warrior

Message non lu par Decadis » sam. oct. 10, 2009 3:50 pm

"I am not careful"! XD

Try to read again what you wrote before posting, maybe you do mistakes because you're in a hurry to post and do not verify your sentences :/

Giro Noden
Koruldia Divinity

Message non lu par Giro Noden » sam. oct. 10, 2009 5:01 pm

Yes, to be hurry is not good if you want to learn a language :) !

But if you can't do by another way, for example because you are not allowed to do some computer ( like i am...), it's okay.
Giro

Decadis
Koruldia Warrior

Message non lu par Decadis » sam. oct. 10, 2009 5:51 pm

You can't say to be hurry, it's "to be in a hurry" =)

And I think you can't say "do some computer". It's not like French. Problem is, the worst mistake that can be done are the ones where you try to translate a french expression in english, word by word... The word "do" can't be used like "faire" in French. You need to say "you're not allowed to go on the computer/to use the computer".

When facing something like that, the best solution is to try and say it in another way, like when you want to say something but can't find the word.
Dernière modification par Decadis le sam. oct. 10, 2009 8:56 pm, modifié 2 fois.

Latix50
Koruldia apprentice

Message non lu par Latix50 » sam. oct. 10, 2009 8:31 pm

Yes sorry i'll be careful ^^' lol :D Thanks ^^.

irie
KoruTeam
KoruTeam

Message non lu par irie » dim. oct. 11, 2009 1:14 am

Josh a écrit :Yes I live walking distance from Lake Erie ;)
Oooh i dont know why but I like that name ;)

Giro Noden
Koruldia Divinity

Message non lu par Giro Noden » dim. oct. 11, 2009 12:25 pm

Euh Decadis, for " do some computer ", in my host Family, they always say that, so i think you are wrong.

But thanks for to be in hurry ^^ !
Giro

Decadis
Koruldia Warrior

Message non lu par Decadis » dim. oct. 11, 2009 1:53 pm

O'rly? Then maybe it is an invented english expression, you know, like when you use some weird verbs in french or when you create a word specially for you sentence. Because I've heard you can't say that, that's why I told you that ^-^ Then again, if english understand you when you say it, there's no problem, I guess =)

Giro Noden
Koruldia Divinity

Message non lu par Giro Noden » dim. oct. 11, 2009 7:23 pm

But it was kind of you, thanks a lot ^^ !

I will go to Tours, the 30 and 1, maybe we will be able to meet us ? ( Not good sentence i guess, but i hope you have understand.)
Giro

Decadis
Koruldia Warrior

Message non lu par Decadis » lun. oct. 12, 2009 12:10 pm

Yo, of course I understood, I'm French you know XD

Just say "We will be able to met" "or meet each other" but this one not really beautiful.

The 30th of October and the first of November, say? What happened to the 31st? XD

Josh
Koruldia Hunter

Message non lu par Josh » mar. oct. 13, 2009 1:34 am

irie a écrit :
Josh a écrit :Yes I live walking distance from Lake Erie ;)
Oooh i dont know why but I like that name ;)
in french its called - Lac Érié
;)
I cheated it tells me here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Erie

Latix50
Koruldia apprentice

Message non lu par Latix50 » mar. oct. 13, 2009 3:05 pm

lol^^

KaYsEr
KoruTeam
KoruTeam

Message non lu par KaYsEr » mar. oct. 13, 2009 4:17 pm

It almost sounds like her name with jap/fr prononciation ;)

Blue
KoruTeam
KoruTeam

Message non lu par Blue » mar. oct. 13, 2009 8:06 pm

Sorry for the delaaaay (I was held up by some aliens who took me away for their experiments... Nah really, I was just being held up by some work...).
Walking distance from lake Erie wow. Must be cold during winter (urg what am I talking about, must be cold right now...!) Did you ever try to cross the lake by foot ? :P

As for "cheap", I'm just giving it as an example as it's a very common word. And we use it whenever we go abroad (well, I use it). So it's just funny there's no single word that translates into it in French. Might be proof that the prices aren't "cheap" in the French-speaking world. lol
~~~~ Blue ~~~