Translations: French<->English

Here you can speak (in english) about game creation with RPG Maker or similar tools.
Lone-One
Koruldia apprentice

Translations: French<->English

Message non lu par Lone-One » sam. févr. 21, 2009 11:31 pm

Hello All.
I have decided, after being on the forums for only a merely 30 minutes, that it may become useful for everyone to have a small Translation Reference that could be used by the community to understand each other. Well, so French and English users could understand each other.

English/French:
  • Hello = Bonjour
    Good day/Good morning/Good afternoon = Bonjour!
    Hi = salut
    Pleased to meet you = Content(males) or Contente(females) de te rencontrer
    Thank you = Merci
    Many thanks/Thank you very much = Merci beaucoup!
    Good evening = Bonsoir/Bonne soirée
    Good night = Bonne nuit
    Come here = Viens ici
    OK! = OK!
    How good/Great = C'est bien/Super
    How are you? = Comment vas-tu?
    I'm doing well = Ça va/Ça va bien
    Good luck = Bonne chance
    Until next time = À la prochaine
    See you soon = A bientot/J'espére te revoir bientot
    Please = > S'il vous plaît (2° plural) / S'il te plaît (2° singular person)
    Of course => Bien sûr
    That's true / false => C'est vrai / faux
    You're right / wrong => Vous avez raison / tort (or Tu as)
    I agree / I decline => Je suis d'accord / Je ne suis pas d'accord => negation form here - french uses another expressions too but it's the easiest to learn.
    I think => Je pense // I don't think => Je ne pense pas
    I say, tell / Je dis
    My opinion => Mon opinion
    In the one hand, other hand => D'une part, d'autre part...
French/English:
  • Bonjour = Hello
    Bonjour = Good day/Good morning/Good afternoon
    Salut = Hi
    Content(males) or Contente(females) de te rencontrer = Pleased to meet you
    Merci = Thank you
    Merci beaucoup = Many thanks/Thank you very much
    Bonsoir/Bonne soirée = Good evening
    Bonne nuit = Good night
    Viens ici = Come here
    OK! = OK!
    C'est bien/Super = How good/Great
    Comment vas-tu? = How are you?
    Ça va/Ça va bien = I'm doing well
    Bonne chance = Good luck
    À la prochaine = Until next time
    A bientot/J'espére te revoir bientot = See you soon
    S'il te (vous) plaît = Please
    Bien sûr = Of course
    C'est vrai / faux = That's true / false
    Tu as raison / tort = You're right / wrong
    Je suis d'accord / Je ne suis pas d'accord = I agree / I decline
    Je pense / Je ne pense pas = I think / I don't think
    Je dis = I say, I tell
    Mon opinion = My opinion
    D'une part, d'autre part = In the one hand, other hand
If you have any ideas/suggestions/translations, please feel free to post them below.

Notes:
------------------------------------------
There is a difference in French between the 2° singular and plural person. I propose this article about: to use of the "vous" form to sb / or the "tu" form...

It's in French => Vouvoiement for "vous" (plural) and Tutoiement for "tu" (singular)

=> In France, the "vous" form of the pronoun "you" is always used between people who meet for the first time or who hardly know each other. It is also used between colleagues from different levels in a hierarchy. In professional contexts, it is common to continue to use "vous" even when people are on first-name terms, and university students usually use "vous" with their professors, even though teachers often address as "tu". The "vous" form is also frequently used between parents-in-law and their sons or daughters-in-law, even after they have known each other for many years.

So maybe not necessary for the hub... you can use with us the "tu" form, because it isn't really formal. This community is very sympathic, maybe each member here considers the hub like a family ^_^, do you understand? It's a friendly relationship - so "tu" the 2° singular person... and always "vous" for the plural.
Post your contributions to this thread and it will be added.
Thanks to: Lone-One, Dentelle127
Dernière modification par Lone-One le lun. févr. 23, 2009 4:17 pm, modifié 1 fois.

Dentelle127
Koruldia Master

Message non lu par Dentelle127 » dim. févr. 22, 2009 1:43 am

Maybe those words too:

English / French

Please = > S'il vous plaît (2° plural) / S'il te plaît (2° singular person)
Of course => Bien sûr
That's true / false => C'est vrai / faux
You're right / wrong => Vous avez raison / tort (or Tu as)
I agree / I decline => Je suis d'accord / Je ne suis pas d'accord => negation form here - french uses another expressions too but it's the easiest to learn.
I think => Je pense // I don't think => Je ne pense pas
I say, tell / Je dis
My opinion => Mon opinion
In the one hand, other hand => D'une part, d'autre part...

etc...

There is a difference in French between the 2° singular and plural person. I propose this article about: to use of the "vous" form to sb / or the "tu" form...

It's in French => Vouvoiement for "vous" (plural) and Tutoiement for "tu" (singular)

=> In France, the "vous" form of the pronoun "you" is always used between people who meet for the first time or who hardly know each other. It is also used between colleagues from different levels in a hierarchy. In professional contexts, it is common to continue to use "vous" even when people are on first-name terms, and university students usually use "vous" with their professors, even though teachers often address as "tu". The "vous" form is also frequently used between parents-in-law and their sons or daughters-in-law,even after they have known each other for many years.

So maybe not necessary for the hub... you can use with us the "tu" form, because it isn't really formal ;). This community is very sympathic, maybe each member here considers the hub like a family ^_^, do you understand? It's a friendly relationship :) - so "tu" the 2° singular person... and always "vous" for the plural.

So if you want another words, don't hesitate ;) ! I'm really enjoy to help, languages are interesting for me too ^_^!

Lone-One
Koruldia apprentice

Message non lu par Lone-One » lun. févr. 23, 2009 4:18 pm

Post has been updated. Thanks!!

Dentelle127
Koruldia Master

Message non lu par Dentelle127 » mer. févr. 25, 2009 6:05 am

From tonight, startos and I can fix mistakes.
Before that, I couldn't edit your first post! No worries, I just corrected your French/English list which was more incomplete than the English/French list though...

Some errors like "Clin d'oeil" or "Sourire" were in the English text about "vous" and "tu" forms (hey, you copied my text lol... so not smileys, that's why those french words appeared!)

Ok now it's actually updated ;)!

Weby
Koruldia Bronze Soldier

Message non lu par Weby » sam. avr. 18, 2009 10:51 pm

I don't see the utility of the "French/English" list, but gosh ! Good idea !

EDIT: Dentelle127 => C'est mieux ça que de ne rien proposer en même temps :stupide: - lol